Volkswagen chief executive Martin Winterkorn has resigned following the revelation that the carmaker manipulated US diesel car emissions tests.
In a statement he said he was "shocked by the events of the past few days"."I am doing this in the interests of the company even though I am not aware of any wrong doing on my part," he said.
"I am clearing the way for a fresh start with my resignation," he added.
Volkswagen, the world's biggest carmaker, has admitted it deceived US regulators in exhaust emissions tests by installing a device to give more positive results.
It has already said that 11 million vehicles worldwide are involved and it is setting aside €6.5bn (£4.7bn) to cover costs of the scandal.
Mr Winterkorn said he was "stunned" at the scale of the misconduct in the group but that he was confident that VW would overcome this "grave crisis".
"The process of clarification and transparency must continue. This is the only way to win back trust," his statement said.

Post a Comment Blogger Facebook